Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Planning my 1st trip to AFRICA



I am beginning to plan my first trip to Africa















http://vacationrentals.bg/blog/show_image_spPGNewspro.php?filename=/2011/06/The-Masai-Mara.jpg&cat=1&pid=707&cache=true

But there are so many different factors involved, and I really dont know where to start...(mind you when it comes to this type of stuff, I have ADD with literally 10 different web pages open)

I have visited Saint Lucia, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Bahamas, St. Maarten etc..... and I've always figured out the area I wanted to stay, and booked hotel and flight within 2-3 days...easy peasy.  But AFRICA....hmm...where to start.  I DEFINITELY want to see the rich cultural history of where my people were raped, robbed and maimed, to feel a sense of connection to the motherland.  But, I also want to see safaris, beaches etc.

Then I have to decide on what time of year to go, and which area(s) to visit.  I decided that 2014 would be a good time to go, that way I have time to save money, research the places I want to go, etc.  I want to go during a warm non-rainy season.  I think that West Africa would be really good for the cultural experiences (and my husband would really enjoy this area - growing up with his mother, which I secretly call "mother Africa" lol - dont tell on me you guys), however, there doesn't seem to be too many "tours" going into West Africa, they all seem to be in South Africa. 

So whats a girl to do?

Im kinda torn between going on an official tour or just going there and then taking excursions with a tour guide.

And then there's the fact that i'm not a millionaire.  hmmm...why cant i just spend a million dollars stay a few months in Africa and enjoy the dream vacation of a lifetime?  oh, cause im not a millionaire.

I'm into adventure and thrills.  Hubby....not so much so...hes really into culture and history.  So how can i combine the ultimate trip for the 2 of us...perhaps 2 weeks (with the flight being 20+ hours), and a low-mid size budget.

Have you guys been to Africa?  Where did you go?  Where did you stay?  How much did the trip cost you?  Did you use a tour guide? what other tips/suggestions do you have?

ahhhhh Africa...I long to see you,

xoxoxo
Tatiana

0 comments:

Post a Comment